Saturday, January 16, 2010

It Begins...

Quick note: The following blog entries are based on my journaling while in India. I hope you don’t mind hearing about it in retrospect J

January 4th

On the plane and can’t sleep. Part of me is uncomfortable (I was lucky enough to be sandwiched in the middle seat for 15 hours), but a bigger part of me is awake in anticipation. I’m sitting next to someone from Punjab, India, and from our conversation earlier I have some pre-trip advice:

  1. Seriously…Don’t drink the water.
  2. Even if you don’t drink the water, you will most likely get sick once during your trip.
  3. Be open and receptive, your travel norms from Europe will not apply here.
  4. The American poor have coach bags, and attitude of entitlement, and use welfare to pay bills. The Indian poor scavenge for food and have meager shelter.
  5. Because of this, it is a social faux-pas not to finish food.
  6. Your host/esse will try offering you food after you have finished. If you refuse, they will offer you half. Be firm, but polite when you are full.
  7. Try a samosa. Better yet, eat plenty of samosas.

No comments:

Post a Comment